Young Filmmaker Scholarship Call 2021 second round is open from the 18th of July to the 17th of September!
Scholarship call for young filmmakers
This scholarship call was created to inspire school kids to make films. From 2021 the Black Nights Film Festival and the Youth and Children's film festival Just Film will be giving out scholarships to young filmmakers. The scholarship will be given out four times a year and all children and youngsters from 1st to 12th grade (from Estonian schools) are welcome to apply. Scholarship recipients get the chance to show their film at BNFF's youth and children's film festival Just Film. This is a unique opportunity for a young filmmaker to take part in an A-category film festival. In addition, the recipients have the chance to participate in the BNFF film industry section's, Industry@Tallinn & Baltic Event, international workshops and seminars.
The second round of the scholarship call is presented by PÖFF presenter Elisa Eesti as and Just Film presenter Swedbank Eesti AS. Both of them are granting one scholarship in the second round.
We are very grateful for the support of our partners!
Principles of the scholarship:
- The goal of the scholarship is to inspire the youth to make films. How and on what the scholarship is used, is up to the recipient. For example, the scholarship could be used for renting equipment, set pieces, covering transportation costs, etc.
- To apply, the participant has to send his/hers film script before the deadline.
- Scholarship receivers will be announced within 30 days from the deadline.
- The deadlines for 2021 are:
April 10th 2021
September 17th 2021
December 3rd 2021
- The deadlines for 2022 are:
January 30th 2022
April 30th 2022
September 30th 2022
November 30th 2022
- The amount of one scholarship is 500 € per project.
Terms for applying for the scholarship:
- To apply for the scholarship one must send their film script (the guide for creating a script can be found at the end of this page). There are no limitations on the genre of the film, animation ideas are also welcome. The film idea must be realistic to fulfil. The length of the film must be at least 1 minute.
- Friends, classmates or parents can be included in making the film. There are no limitations on the size of the filmmakers group.
- The scrip must be realistic - meaning that the filmmakers' group is able to actually make and finish the film. The help of a mentor/teacher/parent is allowed.
- The scholarship will be transferred to the recipients' bank account. If the filmmaker is younger than 16 years old, the applicant must be a teacher or a parent, to whose bank account the scholarship will be transferred. The idea proposition or script has to bw written by the student.
- The script must comply with the Constitution of the Republic of Estonia, other valid laws and common practices.
- If the filmmaker(s) has/have a mentor at school who will help with making of the film, we ask the mentor to write a short overview of why they think this idea is good and worthy of the scholarship.
- The scholarship call is open for all 7-19-year-olds who study in Estonian general or vocational schools.
- The idea proposition or script can be submitted in Estonian or Russian.
Announcing the recipients:
- The recipients of the scholarship will be chosen by a three-member group of film specialists - two of them from the Black Nights Film Festival and one expert outside of BNFF.
- The applicants will be notified of the results via e-mail. The results will be announced within 30 days of the deadline. A written notification with reasoning will also be provided to applicants who did not receive the scholarship. The feedback will be sent out within 60 days of the deadline.
- The recipients of the scholarship will also be announced on Just Film website and social media channels with short descriptions of their film ideas (1-2 sentences).
Scholarship amount transfer:
- The scholarship will be transferred to the recipients' bank account one week after announcing the recipients.
Rights of the recipients:
- 500 € scholarship to realise their film idea.
- Films that are ready by November will be screened at the Youth and Children's film festival Just Film programme. The authors of the films are invited to the ceremonial premiere. The authors have the opportunity to invite their friends, families or teachers to the event. Details of the event will be specified before the beginning of the festival.
- Every recipient of the scholarship has the right to take part in BNFF's film industry section, Industry@Tallinn & Baltic Event - workshops and seminars directed to international filmmakers. This will give the recipients a chance to learn from the best professionals of the field. Participating in these workshops and seminars requires speaking and understanding English.
Applying for the scholarship:
The first application round is closed.
The second round will open on the 19th of July 2021. Fill in the application form HERE
In the form you will need to write:
- Name of the applicant;
- Size of the filmmakers group;
- Names of the filmmakers (as many, as are known at that point);
- Mentors name (if you have one);
- Recommendation of your mentor/teacher ( why these students should receive this scholarship; why is this film idea good);
- Consent of a parent (needed when the applicant is younger than 16);
- Owner of the bank accounts name, where the scholarship should be transferred;
- Bank account number;
- Short description of the film's storyline (1-2 sentences);
- Upload your idea proposition or script
- A short overview of how are you planning on making the film and getting it done.
Guiding materials for creating a script can be found HERE
A short description of the film's storyline (1-2 sentences); – write down with 1-2 sentences what is going to happen in your future film.
For example: Mary is spending her summer at the countryside and meets a mysterious boy. Together they find a treasure under Grandma's apple tree and they start their big adventure.
A short overview of how are you planning on making the film and getting it done - please describe:
- who are your partners in making the film;
- where could you get technical support if needed;
- do you have the necessary equipment needed for filming and editing;
- when are you planning on starting with filming;
- when do you wish to have the film ready.
Additional information and questions about the scholarship:
BNFF youth and children's film festival Just Film, Marketing Manager
Young filmmaker scholarship coordinator
+372 52 055 92